Ultraflat anode design for ultramodern capacitors
A fundamental trend in consumer electronics is the miniaturization and the development of ultra-thin products. In mobile applications, this trend is essential to their success – not only from a technical standpoint, but also because design is a crucial purchasing argument to these lifestyle products.
The challenge passive component manufacturers are facing today amid the megatrend of the Internet of Things (IoT) is a perpetual and accelerant turn towards ultra-thin devices. Wearables and innovative communication or electronic medical devices require ultra-flat designs and energy efficient technology.
Paste technology offers a new way to achieve ultra-thin capacitor designs and increased volumetric efficiency of capacitance. It allows the use of alternative materials such as niobium monoxide or alternative process designs, producing anodes in a highly efficient manner. In every application where conventional anode pressing of powder starts to become difficult, paste technology leads to innovative designs. These new ultra-thin designs can improve capacitor performance by decreasing ESR/ESL values, while increasing volumetric capacitances. Reduced resistive losses of embedded designs helps to increase battery life.
Paste technology at a glance
- Opportunity for ultra-flat anode designs, not achievable with pressing, allowing ultra-low profile capacitor designs
- Higher energy density than aluminum capacitors, but the same multianode design
- Possibility to integrate capacitors into PCB embedded designs
- Very high volumetric capacitance
- Easier application of alternative materials like niobium monoxide (NbO)
- Better thermo-mechanical stability than for ceramic capacitors
- Low ESR / Low ESL components
TANIOBIS is a leading international manufacturer of high-performance tantalum powders for capacitor producers all over the world. We actively drive the development of new technologies in order to provide our customers with products and solutions that meet the requirement of the latest electronic industry trends.